This is a recipe from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen. Mollie Katzen has over 6 million books in print and is listed by the New York Times as one of the best-selling cookbook authors of all time. A 2007 inductee into the prestigious James Beard Cookbook Hall of Fame, and largely credited with moving healthful vegetarian food from the "fringe" to the center of the American dinner plate, Ms. Katzen has been named by Health Magazine as one of "The Five Women Who Changed the Way We Eat."
There are some days—and some moods—when hot chocolate is just simply the answer. And there might not even have been a question! This recipe hits that indescribable spot.
Yield: 2 servings (easily multiplied)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups milk
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
1. Combine the chocolate chips and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. Pour in the milk, then add the salt and vanilla.
2. Place the saucepan over medium heat, stirring slowly as the mixture heats up and the chocolate melts. Don’t let it boil.
3. Serve hot, topped with whipped cream and a light sprinkling of cinnamon, if desired.
Soy milk–or a combination of milk and cream–can be substituted for the milk.