From the coastal Maine kitchen of author, dancer, artist and chef Sukanya Rahman Wicks, who is literally the world's best cook:
This is a variation on a traditional "Punjabi Saag" recipe. Historically Mustard Greens are harvested at the same time as the corn, and the ground corn is used to thicken the greens. But any thickening agent can be used. In this case we used ground flaxseed, which is an excellent alternative to corn. 95% corn now is genetically modified, and should be avoided in an ideal diet.
(We will be covering this subject in an upcoming interview with PhD nutritionist JJ Virgin, who will explain in detail how GMO Corn is toxic to your body. This is why GMO corn is considered a Cheat, and non-GMO corn is on the left side of the PEERtrainer Cheat System!)
• 1 large bunch kale washed and chopped fine
• 1 large bunch mustard greens washed and chopped fine
(or substitute ANY mixture of frozen kale, mustard greens, collard, spinach etc. equivalent to about two 16oz bags. Whole Foods 365 brand has excellent frozen greens which were used in this recipe. EVERY other major food chain also has excellent frozen greens and they are very affordable. This might be the best bang for the buck in nutrition!)
• 1 or two 2 Jalapenos or green chillies
• Thinly julliened ginger or chopped fine (at least an inch long piece of ginger, the more the merrier).
• 4 or five cloves peeled garlic
• Sea Salt to taste
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1/2 large onion sliced thin
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• Juice of 1/2 a lime/ lemon
• 1 or 2 tbsp milled flax (optional to thicken, traditionally maize flour is used)
• Mix the greens, green chillies, garlic and steam or boil in a little water boil till cooked. (or use pressure cooker)
• Mash the greens with your Immersion Blender to make a coarse paste.
• In another pan, heat the olive oil on a medium flame. When hot add the onions and ginger and saute for a few minutes
• Add the cumin and fry for a minute or so.
• Add the greens mix to this and stir till blended. Cook a few minutes longer until flavours are blended.
Important Cooking Note:
All proportions are all approximate. This is just a guide. If you do cook a smaller batch, don't use more than one Jalapeno or Green Chili. If you like less spicy food, but still want some flavor, use 1/2 a Jalapeno.
PS: This is a great recipe for those of you following the PEERtrainer Cheat System, using the Mastermind "stay on track" system or going through the Point Of No Return Program!
PPS: Post your version of this recipe in the comments section below or in this community thread. If you are a recipe blogger feel free to post a link to your blog as long as you link back. Thank you!