We just reworked the welcome email that we send out to new users of the site. I want to share this with you because it reflects our own mission with PEERtrainer, and how we see it best used. We got a great email from a member of the PT family yesterday, and that prompted a reworking of what we are communicating to people new to using the site for daily logging and group support.
Welcome to PEERtrainer, We Look Forward To Working With You
Our core mission here is to make sure you have the tools, support, guidance and information you need to be successful in losing weight and improving your health. Please take a couple minutes and be sure to follow these steps. Maybe print this page out or save it in a folder on your computer.
1. The first thing you want to do is make sure you are signed up for our free Tip Of The Day weight loss coaching newsletter if you have not already:
If you go to the page you can read more about it, but basically this serves as a virtual coach to keep you on track each day. Users love it and the structure it provides. You can also reply to the messages and ask us questions directly. Our objective is to build as personal a relationship as possible with you. This is an internet company run by real people, and we care deeply about helping you. We want to hear from you and we want to help you.
2. Join Groups and Teams. If you don't find one you like- Start One. The act of writing down your food each day is proven to help you lose weight, and the support of a group is also proven to help you. It is important for us to set the expectation that this is not always easy. Be patient, join and start several groups and teams. If you email us directly we can also help you with this important process.
3. We have just rolled out a free 4 week "Weight Loss Bootcamp." This is a series of 4 calls that are sent to you each week that will help you get into the proper mindset of successful, long term weight loss. They also give you a set of rules to follow in situations like parties and eating out. Users are finding that the combination of the daily logging, groups and teams, daily tips and weekly calls provide a powerful system and program.
4. Develop the Logging Habit. Daily logging is the cornerstone of effective weight loss, and engages you in a process called "self-monitoring." This is basically a conversation with yourself each day. If there is one thing to focus on in the first few days on PT, it is this.
5. If you are new to logging, only focus on that for the first few days. It takes a while to develop a new habit, and you want to start this process by breaking them down into easy, achievable goals.
6. Find active groups and teams. This is the SINGLE most important factor in the success of a group. Yes, you might want to find people with similar interests, geography, backgrounds etc-- but first and foremost find active members.
7. If you want to jump into things, visit and bookmark our "PEERtrainer Weight Loss And Site Guide". This is another resource to help you.
More Tips On Success With PEERtrainer and Weight Loss
8. Start slow. Find achievable, short term goals. Whether you want to lose 50 pounds or train for a marathon, it is going to take time. Take your time. It will make it easier, you'll be more successful, and you'll have more fun.
9. Want some tips on how to lose weight? Read this article, bookmark it and re-read it. The people giving that advice are some of the people you will be interacting with on PEERtrainer!
10. The PEERtrainer "Aha Moment." The other members of your group or team can see and read your logs, and you see what you are eating. The first week on PEERtrainer is an eye opener for most people.
11. You can join as many groups as you want, our users suggest that three is a good number to be part of. The only thing we ask is to be positive and active in your groups.
12. You can invite friends directly into your group, through an "Invite a Friend" feature. Put in their email address, and they will be sent an invitation right to your group. When they sign up, they will be automatically placed in your group.
13. Watch A Video Of PEERtrainer on NBC!!! This is a 2 minute video clip of a PEERtrainer user describing how it works to an NBC TV Show. It is pretty slick.
14. Please Please visit the PEERtrainer Community This is a great place to ask questions, see what others are talking about. We do ask that you be as positive and supportive as possible. There is a very short list of rules that we ask you follow.
The PEERtrainer success formula-- log consistently, comment actively, commit to your group...you'll most likely meet your diet and fitness goals. Once you get comfortable with logging and the small group interaction, you'll be hooked, and most likely find PEERtrainer to be highly effective.